What is HISO?
This monthly show is provided as a service to the Hawai‘i Island community and is aired multiple times weekly on cable channels 53 and 54 as well as on our website at www.naleo.tv.
HISO is an opportunity for Hawai‘i Island residents to engage their free speech rights. Participation on HISO is completely free, and requires no experience!
On this program, an individual person can:
- Talk about your non-profit organization.
- Express your views and opinions.
- Announce upcoming non-profit events.
- Read poetry and the spoken word.
- Do a performance.
Contact the Outreach Department to book a 30-minute “Time Block” reservation for the third Friday of each month. HISO participants are invited into either of our Studios located in Hilo or Kona from 10:00am-4:30pm. You must reserve a time slot by 4:00pm the day before filming; no walk-ins. Please note that the filming day will move to the day before, Thursday, if the 3rd Friday falls on a holiday.
Sign our Release Form. You will be asked to read and sign our Rules and Guides to assume full responsibility for your statements and actions. A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors under the age of 18.
Visit our studio to record your television segment which can be up to ten minutes. You’ll be greeted by one of our Nā Leo TV associates and when it is time for your recording, you will be escorted to our Studio.
Policies and Procedures:
Each participant in “Hawai‘i Island Speaks Out” must sign a Statement of Compliance stating their segment does NOT contain any of the following material:
- Obscene or indecent matter as defined in the 1992 FCC guidelines.
- Matter intended to defraud the viewer or obtain money by false or fraudulent pretense.
- Information concerning any lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme offering prizes dependent upon chance.
- Material which constitutes libel, slander, invasion of privacy or publicity rights, unfair competition, violation of trademark or copyright, or material which might violate any local, state, or federal law.
- Advertising, promotion, or publicity which endorses or opposes candidates for public office or advertisements for or against ballot measures. This policy is not meant to exclude political debate or to limit the communities’ access to a diversity of political views.
- Material designed to promote the sale of commercial products or services or a commercial which in whole or in part depicts, demonstrates, or discusses products, services, or businesses with the intent or substantial effect of benefitting or enhancing a profit-making enterprise.
Tips for your presentation:
- “HISO” is a great opportunity for individuals to share their free speech rights.
- Write an outline or script of your speech and practice it. You can use your notes during your speech, or you can “wing it.” Either way, the more practice you have, the more confident you’ll feel delivering your message!
- Time your speech to ensure it can fit within in the 10-minute range. Speech going over 10 minutes will be cut off. If you go over 10 minutes, you will have the opportunity to do a retake of your speech.
- If in doubt, check with Outreach or Production if your subject-matter abides by the policies and procedures.
On Filming Day:
- For best quality, it is recommended to avoid wearing solid white or busy patterns (i.e., plaid, pinstripe, etc.).
- Please be on time, or arrive a little early to sign the necessary forms.
- After recording your segment, it will be added along with other recorded segments.
Call or see us today!
91 Mohouli Street • Hilo, Hawaii 96720
75-5915 Walua Road • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740